From its organization to the present day
by Miss Josie Drumb
Saturday, August 17, 1872
Perry County was
organized in the year 1814, two years before the State of
It contains about four hundred square miles of territory; and is bounded on the North by Dubois and Crawford Counties; East by Crawford County and the Ohio River; South by the Ohio River; and West by Spencer and Dubois Counties.
It formerly had eight civil townships, viz, Troy, Deer Creek, Tobin, Union, Oil, Clark, Leopold and Anderson, but Deer Creek Township has been dropped, leaving but seven.
exception of about 20,000 acres of bottom land along the
The various articles exported from the county are Corn, Pork, Tobacco, Potatoes and the various kinds of marketing such as Poultry, Butter, Eggs, Feathers, Wool, etc.
In 1844 there
were in the county fifteen mills, either running by water or horse power; now
there are about fifty (nearly all steam) including the mills of
About 1833 the
Legislature set apart a certain fund called the "Seminary Fund" and
the Seminary in this County was located at
But to return to the organization of the county, Solomon Lamb was the first Clerk, Harvy McCoy the first Auditor and Samuel Connor the first Sheriff. James Wheeler was elected Treasurer, but refused to serve, wherefore no less than ten persons were tendered the appointment each of whom refused to serve and the Board was compelled to adjourn without making an appointment. Mr. Lamb was, also, Recorder at the same time by virtue of his first office as Clerk and the first deed recorded by him was from David Groves to John Cassidy on the 18th day of March 1815 and conveyed one hundred acres of fractional section 28, township 6 south range 1 west, consideration paid was $300. The Recorder's office was not made a separate office till after the new constitution was adopted in 1852, Henry Groves being the first Recorder.
The first Court held in this county was held at the residence of Jas. McDaniels on the 3rd day of July 1815. The court was held by Isaac Blackford presiding Judge, Thomas Martin and James McDaniel's associates.
The first Grand Jury was composed of Peter Barbre, David Groves, Andrew Collins, Jonathan Esary, Abraham Murphy, Jacob Davis, Elias Hedden, Jesse Grew, Jesse Morgan, Ezra Lamb, Abraham Hiley, Wm. Taylor, Joseph Wright, Thomas Polk, Jacob Weatherholdt, Edward Erskin, Wm. Stark, Joseph Shields, James Kellums, Berriman Lamar, and Burnett Dewitt, twenty-two good and lawful men.
commissioners of which we have record are David Edwards, Uriah Lamar and
indictments found in the first term of the circuit court were several for
"profane swearing," each of whom were fined $.50, being the first who
paid a fine in the new county. The first marriage in this county was Berriman
Printing Office was at Cannelton on
In 1840 the total
amount of expenditures of Perry county was $442.55. In
1850 the county contained one thousand two hundred and thirty dwellings, one
thousand two hundred and fifty families, seven thousand two hundred and
sixty-eight inhabitants, five hundred and forty farms, and fourteen productive
establishments. Owing to the incorrect returns of the
In the settlement of Perry county, the business of hunting engaged the attention of many of the people to procure even their necessary food and on certain occasions the women were not less fearless and efficient than the other sex. One incident which occurred in the early history of the county is the following: John Archibald and wife having succeeded in treeing a bear, cut down the tree which unfortunately fell upon the husband, broke his leg, and held him fast to the ground; in the hurry of the moment the wife did not notice the accident but she and the dogs pursued the bear for a mile or two, when he was brought to bay, and she and the dogs came up and killed him. For the first time she missed her husband and hastily returning, relieved him from his unpleasant situation. Mr. Archibald was still living in the year 1850.
The first vest
that President Lincoln wore was spun, woven and made by Mrs. Scissel who lives
The Towns of
Troy was settled in the year by the Indiana Pottery Co. It has at present a large saw and grist mill, also a hub and spoke factory, several good stores and a very good brick schoolhouse. Population is 1870 was 480.
Cannelton was first
laid out in 1835 and was settled by Colliers under the supervision of Messrs.
Rhodes and McLane. Cannelton is now the largest town in the
county, and has a court house, five churches, several elegant residences, and a
large cotton factory which is called the
Some of the greatest improvements of Cannelton own their origin to General S. Hunt of New Hampshire, and Messrs. Hobart, William and Russell of Boston, Mass. who formed the American Cannel Coal Co. in the year 1837. The population of Cannelton in 1870 was 2,419.
Leopold in the center of the county was settled by French emigrants in 1843 under the supervision of the Rev. Augustus Bessoniss.
Tell City two miles below Cannelton was settled in 1858 by the Swiss Colonization Society which was organized at Cincinnati December 1856, under the supervision of J. Christine, president, J. C. Appenzeller, Vice President; Charles Steinaur, Peter Ludwig, P. Luthy, and J. Schoettlin, Secretaries; J. Goldenberg, Treasurer, and Chas. Tufflin, P. Constance and M. Goeppa, Trustees. Tell City is one of the most flourishing towns on the lower Ohio, having at present five large Furniture and Chair factories, two wagon factories, and extensive flour mill, several large saw mills, one Brewery and an Iron Foundry.
The owners of the
manufacturies there have recently purchased a steamboat for the purpose of
transporting their goods to the different markets at as little expense as
possible, and also by this means they can ship all times independent of outside
boats. Tell City has two fine public school buildings employing three English
and four German teachers. The population of
This is all the information I can give on this subject at present.